The results of Governor Questionnaire sent out to Calderdale Governors in July 2011 are as follows:
1. Do you think there is a need for CGA?
Don’t know about CGA 10%
2. What do you think CGA could do for you?
Provide networking opportunities with other Governors 37%
Provide advice/information 35%
Governor training/Voice for Governance in Calderdale 12%
3. What would encourage you to attend CGA meetings?
Relevant topics active issues NOT boring! 46%
4. What is your preferred method of communication?
EMAIL (80%) TEXT (9%) POST (11%)
5. How do you think we could ensure that an executive truly represents and is accountable to you?
Broad participation/representation 30%
Direct communication/open email forum 14%
Transparent/report back 13%
Meetings with feedback & representation 13%
Proper role definition for CGA with regular surveys to keep on track 7%
6. What would you say are the main issues that occupy your GB?
Changes to Governance & Academy status 13%
School improvement & outcomes for children 14%
Keeping up with changes & training 10%
Staffing & Morale 6%
Changes to LA & support 5%
Wide range of answers here some very specific to individual school situations.
7. What help do you most need at present?
How do we maintain high standards with changes to support from LA and new inspection framework ? 20%
Advice re Academy or other status 16%
8. Which issues (Local or National) around governance are giving you the most cause for concern?
Academy Status 18%
Changes in Governance/Government policy 18%
Time needed and responsibility of Governors 16%
Changes within LA & support 14%
Training & improving performance 8%
9. What does your Governing Body do best?
Support & challenge Headteacher/SLT/School 31%
Work effectively together with good range of skills 24%
Visibility of Governing Body – time spent in school 7%
Focus on children 5%
Local community identity 5%
A big thank you to all Governors who took part in this questionnaire.
Finally, the CGA Working Party will use these responses to focus it’s agenda for actions over the next 6 months and will consult Governors on a regular basis to keep in touch with Governor needs and priorities.